Whether you are keenly interested in learning the Photo restoration technique of Photoshop or you want to surprise your grandma by enhancing old photos of her younger self. This tutorial blog is going to be worth it for anyone enthusiastic to learn how to restore old photos using photoshop.
Read the tutorial with focus. And carefully perform all the steps to reach out the best outcome possible.
Now let’s move with our tutorial
Table of Contents
What is Photo Restoration Technique?
Photo restoration is the method of restoring a damaged image to its original state. These photos have been harmed by aging, marks, stains, dust, and scratches, among other things. This is a procedure that requires you to change the brightness, clarity, and sharpness of your image. It also necessitates the replacement of any missing or spoiled parts inside the images. With the aid of these programs, old family photos can now be restored.
- Scan the respective photo.
- At least make two copies of the digital version of the photo.
- Open the photo in Photoshop.
- Cropping the unexpected part.
- Adjusting the color contrast.
- Fix the spots using the Clone Stamp Tool, Spot Healing Brush, and Patch tool.
- Observe if the adjustments made by you are fine.
- To minimize noise, apply a filter.
- Save the edited photo
7 Easy Steps to Restore Old Photos in Photoshop
Step 1: Scan the respective photo
It is entirely possible that you must not be having the digital version of the photo, so you will be required to create one.
How to do so?
It’s very simple. You just need to scan the respective photo using a scanner.
There are many scanning applications in software available on the internet, download any one of them and simply scan the respective photo.
Step 2: At least make two copies of the digital version of the photo
In the first copy, we will be performing the necessary edits and renovations. However, the other copy will be required for reference, while doing the changes.
How to create another copy of a photo using Photoshop?
- In the Layers panel, choose a layer.
- Select the Duplicate Layer option from the Layers menu or Layers panel menu, or drag the layer to the Create a New Layer button.
- If you have chosen the Duplicate Layer option, provide your layer a name, and select OK.
- Before you start working on your picture, make sure you press the eye icon on the left side of the original layer. The layer gets hidden from the panel when you choose the button.
Step 3: Open the Photo in Photoshop
Now, the very first step towards editing is opening the photo in Photoshop software.
Step 4: Cropping the unexpected part
Then, crop the picture before starting work because we don’t want Photoshop to take into account details in the photo that it doesn’t need or that will affect the formulas it uses to calculate for the filters and other tools you’ll be using – so let’s get rid of any unnecessary parts foremost.
On the left tool pad, select the crop tool and change the width and length settings on the top menu bar.
Then crop your photo as per your needs, the important portion which needs to be cropped out is the edges.
You make crop out other unnecessary things too
Step 5: Adjusting the color contrast
Here is the procedure to do so
- Under the Layers panel, press the adjustment layers icon to select your duplicate layer.
- From the adjustment layer choices, select Levels.
- Click the dedicated tab to change the RGB (red, green, and blue) levels of your frame. An RGB menu will appear on the screen.
- Select any of the color choices, then drag the white and black sliders to the upward line of the histogram.
- Click the Layers panel to exit after you’ve finished changing the RGB levels.
- To combine your duplicate layer and adjustment layer, right-click on the region and choose Merge Layers from the menu.
Step 6: Fix the spots using the Clone Stamp Tool, Spot Healing Brush, and Patch tool
The Spot Healing Brush, Patch tool, and Clone Stamp Tools in Photoshop can be used to remove blemishes, distractions, and harm.
How can I use the Clone stamp tool?
- Zoom in on the picture after you’ve opened it.
- Choose a clone source Choose a gentle brush. Set the clone stamp’s size to cover the item you want to clone. Knowing how hard and broad the brush should take some practice.
- Overpaint the item you want to get rid of.
- Rep this process until it appears normal. Using undo in Photoshop to go back a few levels. In Mac OS, press Cmd + Z; in Windows, press Ctrl + Z.
How can I use the Spot Healing brush?
- Pick the layer in the Layers panel that includes the spots or small items you want to get rid of.
- Pick the Spot Healing Brush Tool from the Tools column.
- Change the size and hardness of the Spot Healing Brush tool in the options bar to match the object you’re trying to remove.
- You can delete an icon by clicking on it or dragging it over it.
How can I use the patch tool?
- Select the Patch Tool from the menu.
- Drag to pick the area you want to patch, then choose Source from the options bar. You can also drag and pick the Destination option to select your sample location.
- Using the Shift-drag, Alt-drag/Option-drag, or Alt+Shift-drag/Option+Shift-drag combinations, you can fine-tune your range.
- If you want to remove a transparent texture from your sample region, pick Transparent; otherwise, deselect it to position the sample area over the target area.
- The Diffusion slider can be adjusted.
- Drag the pointer to your sample or patch area from within your range.
Step 7: Observe if the adjustments made by you are fine
It is possible that while making so many adjustments, some error occurs. Maybe in the color adjustments on in the time of healing the spots.
It is advisable to recheck your adjustments and fix up things you find inappropriate
Step 8: To minimize noise, apply a filter
You won’t be able to automatically remove the fuzz and scratches with a single button press; you’ll have to do it by hand. However, you can simplify the process by reducing some of the unnecessary noise with Photoshop’s Filter functions.
Step 9: Save the edited photo
So the last step is to save the photo and we are done.
Hope the tutorial is clear to you, still, if you do have any confusion, mention it in the comment box and we will surely be back with a solution.
Thanks for reading. Do check out other blogs on our page.